I’ve been very pleased lately with some ‘big screen’ adaptations of Marvel comic books superheroes, being a huge fan and all. My passion started when I was 8, living in Abidjan (Ivory Coast) at the time, and I’ve been hooked ever since (yes, even African kids in the poorest Third World ghettoes get to read that stuff too).
Hopefully you’ve heard the rumor that there’s chance for a Black Panther movie, and that Wesley Snipes’ company bought the rights to it (he’s slated to play the lead role also). First some background on our protagonist: in the Marvel Universe, the Black Panther who goes by the name of T’Challa, is the king of Wakanda, a fictional African state (remember Zamunda from Coming to America? Dude’s probably got his own money with his face on it too :-D). Exciting and all but damn, can they get somebody else to play the lead role? I must admit I’m a little annoyed at those American actors with fake African accents (Derek Luke in Catching Fire, I still give it to Forrest Whitaker though). It’s just doesn’t feel authentic to me is my point! It’s the equivalent of say…have Arnold Schwarzenegger play an American president (uh oh :-D). So why not get an African actor to play T’Challa? There are a few candidates out there and I came up with this short list:
1. Djimon Hounsou aka ‘Give us…us…FREE!!!’: I’m tired of seeing him in supporting roles, he’s a good act in his own right and deserves a lead role, in addition to his physique I think he’s the best candidate.
2. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje aka Mr. Eko from LOST, enough said
3. Chiwetel Ejiofor: wasn’t he kick-ass in Serenity?
4. Akon: ok…I know what you’re thinking but you have to admit, dude is every – freaking – where, might as well be in this movie right?
5. Dikembe Mutombo: I think he would make the dialogues fun.
photo source: Marvel Directory
Cool Black Panther wallpaper here!